Texas Counties Deliver – learn how county government serves you
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Can I drop charges if I was the victim in an assault case?

You can request that the charges be dropped. After the individual is arrested on criminal charges and has bonded out, the proper procedure is to come to our office and sign an Affidavit of Non-prosecution and give a statement (you need to bring a picture ID). The prosecutor will then make a decision of whether to proceed with the assault case or not.

Will I have to go to jail on my criminal case?
This depends on a variety of things--the nature of the charge, damages, criminal history, etc. Most cases in our court involve probation initially. On arraignment day, each case is reviewed by a prosecutor who will state his plea bargain offer. If you do not agree to accept that offer, you will be given a reset in order for you to consult an attorney.
Do I have to pay the money on my criminal case all at once or can I pay it out?
The Judge asks that court costs be paid up front on the day you plead. Bring $300.00 to cover court costs on arraignment day. Fine, restitution and probationary fees will be paid monthly while on probation.
What is an arraignment?
An arraignment is when the defendant appears in court to enter a plea on his criminal case. You may also discuss your case with a prosecutor on that day.
Do I need an attorney?
You always have the right to be represented by an attorney. However, if you wish to plead guilty or nolo contendere on your criminal case, you may speak to a prosecutor about a plea bargain offer. If you accept that offer, you may proceed without an attorney. If you wish to plead not guilty or feel there is a problem with your case, you may consult an attorney at any time prior to your case being disposed of.
How can I get a court- appointed attorney in my criminal case?
On your arraignment day, you should inform the Judge that you are unable to afford an attorney and wish one to be appointed for you. You must fill out the required forms and the Judge will make a decision whether you are indigent and then appoint an attorney.
What is a FTA?
A Failure to Appear is a Class "A" misdemeanor which alleges a defendant failed to appear in court after he had signed a bond which stated he would appear in court on a certain date and each date thereafter set by the court. A warrant is then issued for their arrest to bring the defendant back before the court on that charge as well as the original charge.
Can I set up a payment plan on my hot checks?
Our office does not have the resources to take partial payments on all check cases. Each case is considered on a case by case basis. If you are unable to pay the amount in full, you must contact our hot check department to work with them on paying the checks in some manner. Failure to stay in contact with that department can result in a warrant being issued for your arrest.
Can I get a protective order on my neighbor or an individual who is harassing me who is not a relative, a member or former member of my household, or an individual in a dating relationship?
No, protective orders are only granted in domestic or dating violence situations which involve a threat of imminent bodily injury.
Can I file charges with the County Attorney's office?
The County Attorney's office handles the prosecution of cases after an arrest has been made. Only hot check cases and a few other cases are filed in our office. In most cases, you must contact your local law enforcement agency to file charges.
Is there a leash law in Liberty County?
There is no current leash law in effect in Liberty County. Some incorporated cities in Liberty County do have leash laws.
Where do I complain about the condition of my county road?
You must contact the Commissioner of the precinct in which you reside.
Can the County Attorney's office settle a land dispute between neighbors?
No, this is a civil suit which will be handled in a district court ordinarily and a private attorney is usually contacted.

** Please note: The Liberty County Attorney's office does not give legal advice or interpretation through this web site. Additionally, the Liberty County Attorney's Office is not responsible for inaccurate, misleading, or incorrect information obtained through agencies to which links are provided from this site.**